Friday, July 1, 2011

Why Do You Need to Change Your Oil?

Because if you wait until 60,000 miles to change the oil, in 3 weeks the engine will fall apart. Oh wait! That's what happened to me.

I bought a great car in March-a 2007 Suzuki XL-7. Third row seats, leather, the works. I fell in love with this car. Three weeks later, on our way home from Texas, the low oil pressure light clicked on. We stopped and turned the car on and luckily made it home. But the next day, the light came on and the engine sounded like it was going to fall out. So I made a quick call to Suzuki and they picked it up from my work. I thought, they'll have it taken care of in a week. Thank goodness I got the extended warranty.

Well, a week, then two passes and the car keeps failing all the tests. So the techs look further into things and find....oil sludged all over. And when they review the records, the lady that owned it NEVER CHANGED THE OIL!!!

I was stunned and appalled. Who doesn't change the oil? It's $30 to get the oil changed. Wow.

I give Suzuki props. They bought and put in a whole new engine, new gasket heads and timing belts. It took a total of 2 months and 3 days for me to get the car back in my possession, but at least I have a new engine and greater confidence. What a ride.

No comments: