Monday, September 10, 2012

L's News

This will be a long winded post. A few weeks ago, I noticed L would stare off. I know many kids do this, but when she pauses she forgets what she was talking about. Some days I see it often, other days none. Being the pediatric neurology PA and a worried mom, I talked it over with Dr. Shah. He thought we should do an EEG just to rule out seizures.
So we did the EEG yesterday and BAM! it was abnormal and showed seizure activity. My heart sunk a little when I saw them pop up on the EEG (mind you I only had 5 hours of sleep the night before to prep her for the test).
So....L has absence seizures. Other names for it is petit mal seizures or generalized seizures. Basically she checks out for a few seconds and then she's back. She is going to start taking a medicine called Zarontin twice a day. She will need to take medicine for 2-3 years but she will likely outgrow it. It's very benign, not caused by something serious or bad and she can do whatever she wants while she's on the medicine.
So that's the facts. How do I feel as a mom? My heart drops in my stomach when I think, she has epilepsy. And I hope others don't judge her. But I move on from my negative thinking because if she was going to have seizures this would be the kind I'd want her to have. And no one really knows. Her teacher hasn't seen them. And it's fixable. There's lots of worse thing she could have. I know I can handle this hiccup in the road.



L getting her EEG done.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

1 comment:

Bets said...

I'm super behind on reading my blogs. I just saw this tonight ... thinking of you guys & glad to know everything will work itself out soon! :)