Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Lent

Today is Ash Wednesday, which starts the season of Lent.  When I was a child, we never observed Lent because we weren't practicing Catholics (and those were the only people I knew that observed Lent).   After joining the Methodist church last year, I did observe Lent by giving up Twitter.  And surprisingly I did well and didn't go on Twitter (except to check in on school board meetings).  I spent the extra time with my family and spent the time reflecting on Jesus and religion.  I felt at peace.  And I haven't spent much time on Twitter since then.

So this year I've spent time thinking about what I will give up.  I am giving up negativity.

Now I'm an optimist at heart.  I think positively most of the time.  But I am guilty of making negative comments, snarky comments and complaining.  So I am going to work on using kind words.  If I don't have something nice to say, I will be quiet (that will be so hard!).  It also means I'll have to work on patience (which is a virtue I don't hold well).

Enjoy the season of Lent and Happy Easter!!

No comments: