Monday, June 8, 2020

Monday Musings 6/8/2020

I took a week off from blogging. This week has been long. And I didn’t know how to form my words so I needed to sit back and think. And listen. As everyone knows, police brutality is worse and a man died after being suffocated for 8 minutes while a police officer held him down. And the protests started for Black Lives Matter.  I’m going to be 100% transparent. My first reaction was: don’t all lives matter? Why are we singling out one ethnicity? Aren’t we supposed to be kind to everyone? And then I saw this:



And I was brought to my knees. Okay, I get it now. So I started reading credible sources and listening to others. And I’ve taken my time to find my voice. I have been privileged my whole life. When I’m driving my car and see a police officer, the only thing I think about it “whew, I was only going 8 mph over the speed limit”.  And the one time I was pulled over 9 years ago for speeding, my thoughts were only “there goes my fun money for the month”. 

There have been many a time where I haven’t gotten the message Black Lives Matter and for that, I am sorry. I have worked on being kind to others but I didn’t see the injustices that are occurring just based on the color of your skin. I promise, from here on out, I will do better. I will help you fight for equality. You and me in this fight together. 

No comments: