Saturday, December 11, 2010

Las Vegas marathon

Last weekend, I went with 12 other people to Sin City to run my first marathon. We had a great time! Here's the view from our window. We were on the 30th floor. You can see the mountains in the background.
The first day we were in Las Vegas, we went to the expo. Unfortunately, we walked a lot to get there (4 miles). But we got to see several sites on the strip. It is so beautiful on the strip. I could spend a whole day just taking pictures of the strip.
Treasure Island. It was across the street from the expo.
The night before the race, we went to the hotel's pasta party. We took several table pictures. Shirley was running partner for training. She didn't run in the marathon, just cheered us on with her husband (they celebrated his retirement from Cessna).
The group. From the bottom left: Michelle, Shirley, Judy, Carla. Second row (l-r): Sherrie, Kathryn, Christie, Cathy and Ken (at top).
I don't have any pictures of the marathon. They will come later. So I'll narrate for you. The first half was beautiful. We ran down the strip and back. Just watching all the people, the crowd and the beautiful buildings, made 13 miles fly by. The second half: was grueling. I did well until mile 16, had to walk a little more than planned, got back in the groove and crapped out at mile 19. I didn't hurt more than normal, but my head kept messing with me. A non -runner would say, 19 miles...you only have 7 to go. But in my mind, I'm thinking, 7 effing miles!! I'm never going to get done. But after a few tears, I got back into the swing of things. I got frustrated once more at mile 22, but then I ran the last 3 miles without problem. I was so happy to be done at 26.2! My official time was 5:26:04. I'm happy with that time (a PR for me!). And after taking a week off, I'll be back to running Sunday mornings. Just not as long :).

2 comments:

Bets said...

Congrats! So much to be proud of :)

Kathryn said...

Thanks! I am really proud of myself.