Monday, January 14, 2013

Houston Marathon

Yesterday I ran 26.2 miles in the Houston Marathon. I've been training for four months, some in nice weather, some in cold weather. But nothing I have done prepared me for yesterday.

The forcasted temperature was 49 degrees with a north wind of 13 miles per hour. 30% chance of rain.

In reality, the start was 45 degrees, 13-15 mph winds and RAIN. and I'm not talking mist or sprinkles. I'm talking rain. Coupled with the wind, the start was not ideal. I saw several people turn around a mile in. But I persevered. I had a pancho that covered up my top to warm me up some. My hat was a life saver.
I started off and my gel pack fell out so I fixes it then had to pee and by mile 2-3, I was in a groove. Shortly after I found the 5:30 pace group and I stayed with them until mile 21. The pace group was wonderful! We ran 6-8 minutes, then walked a minute. I felt great until mile 21. I had a short mental low but I got thru it. I was very proud of myself because I ran the whole way with 1-3 minute walk breaks.

The rain cleared off by mile 10. But the wind was still crazy. Every time I would put my hat lid up to look around a burst of wind would kick up and try to blow my hat off. So I didn't appreciate the course the entire way. But the part I saw was beautiful. The crowd support was awesome the entire way! I even saw a high school friend cheering people on.

My time was 5:40:10. I am thrilled with my time. I am thrilled I didn't have major pain and feel pretty good today.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments: