Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Book Report: Mindless Eating

I thought since I love to read, I'd try to do some book reports. So I hope I don't bore you. The first book I read this year is called "Mindless Eating, Why We Eat More than We Think" by Brian Wansink. I read it because Jeff's school district is doing the Mindless Method program for weight loss this year. It's a pretty interesting concept.

The book was okay. He spent A LOT of time discussing studies about why people eat more than they think they do, why we eat junk when we aren't hungry, etc. I know all this stuff...I just don't do it. But at the end, he discusses making 3 goals to be able to check off every day for 30 days and if you can accomplish that, the goals are likely to stick.

So my three are: 1. Take two bites of food, then put my fork down. I have a bad habit of scarfing my food down and need to stop it.
2. Drink 4 bottles of water a day. This will keep me from eating when I'm really just thirsty.
3. I can only eat sweets on days I exercise. That will give me a little motivation to get up and go to the gym in the morning.

I'll post on February 12 and let you know how it went.

No comments: