Thursday, September 18, 2014

Ocular Migraine

Today I had a first.  I was sitting at my desk working on a patient problem when suddenly my left eye had a long squiggly line and everything to the left was distorted.  It seemed like I was looking through a waterfall.  I tried to shake it off.  I checked and my contact was still there.  But nothing changed.  I got up and left to see a patient.

That was troublesome.  I could talk fine and I'm sure no one noticed anything, but when I was typing that darn line was there making it a challenge to see what I wrote.

After I finished, I went back to my office and everything was the same.  I thought, "okay, call Hank (my cousin and optometrist).  Either he'll reassure me or I'll see him in the office.  I called him and gave him my symptoms and suddenly he says,

"You have an ocular migraine".

What?  But I don't have a headache or any other migraine symptoms.  He reassures me that's normal.  In fact, ocular migraines only last between 5 and 30 minutes.  And sure enough, in 25 minutes, my vision was back to normal.

What. A. Relief.  I'm not sure what triggered it, but I'm grateful it was short lasting.  Hopefully if it happens again, I won't be as worried.  But what a weird feeling.  I'm still in disbelief almost 12 hours later.

No comments: