Friday, February 20, 2015

Taper Time

So this week and last week I'm on taper time.  What does that mean?  Well, my long runs get shorter.  Last week was 12 miles (although I only did 5 since I had been ill) and this week is 8 miles.  But it also means I listen to my body a lot more.  I don't push myself hard in Shocker Fitness.  I sleep more.  I woke up Wednesday and normally would go work out at 5:30am.  But I was tired so I decided to sleep in and I was fine with it.

 It also means I think a lot about the race.  To keep myself from getting too much chatter in my mind, I've been working making a running mix and a name band.  I have a band which I have designated each mile to run for someone.  My family, my friends, some patients.  I know I will have many highs and lows during the race and this will help keep me grounded.  One mile at a time. 

I've been thinking about my fuel often.  I think I have it down to honey chews, granola bars and pretzels.  Hopefully my gut will appreciate all of this. 

And of course it's a time of reflection.  Houston was such a fun marathon (even with the rain).  I hope to have a consistent race and feel good while I'm out there. 

No comments: