Saturday, November 28, 2015

Route 66 5K and Half Marathon


Yep, it's been awhile since I've been here. Life's been crazy.  I'm still on my run streak, but I ended up skipping posting a couple weeks.  I'll start up again this Monday with Weekly Chase and Fitness Friday.
Get a cup of tea, coffee  or Dr. Pepper while I catch you up on last weekend.

Friday, Nov. 20, Ragan, Ammie and I headed to Tulsa.  We were doing a "doubler".  5K on Saturday, 1/2 marathon on Sunday.  I'm sure it sounded great back in June when we signed up.  The weather Friday was great.  By Saturday, it was CHILLY!!!!! And WINDY!!!!!
Here we are before the start:
Oh my, what a windy course.  The temp was 37F and the winds were 20 mph north/ north west. We ran through downtown Tulsa and there was a point where the different heights of skyscrapers was creating a vortex and I almost couldn't stand up straight!!  After the first mile, it got easier and I finished in 34 minutes.



Sunday: half marathon.  33F but NO WIND!Thank God.  I would take cold and no wind over wind any day.  It was chilly to start, but then it warmed up nicely.  The course was outstanding.  The hills were brutal, but the support made it seem so much better.  We went through downtown, along the river, up through several swanky neighborhoods.  There were so many people cheering us on! And lots of them giving out free alcohol (no, I didn't partake-I was afraid my gut would punish me).



I ended up 2:44:39.  A PR for the Tulsa course since I haven't run it before, but not an overall PR.  I was happy with my time and performance.  Here we are after it was over (and I had loaded up on granola bars and spaghetti and beer!).  Jackie, Mandy, me, Deena and Brett.  We all trained together.


Pre-race photo.  I would totally consider this course again.

-Kat

No comments: