Monday, May 11, 2020

My Thoughts on No Spring Races

COVID has canceled lots of stuff in life. Races are included in that. In 2019, I had a blast! I got to run a 50k officially making myself an ultramarathoner. In October, I ran the Chicago marathon which was a bucket race. Man, that was fun! And I got to run in a Hot Chocolate 15k. While that might not have been the most fun, I do like the idea (they donate to children’s miracle network) and the swag is cool! 

And after all of that running, I got burnt out. I was on pace to hit 1200 miles in a year. But after Thanksgiving, I just didn’t care. Running wasn’t as much fun. I had lost my running streak in June. So I told my coach, I just want to have fun. And he created workouts to do just that. I joined Pilates which I LOVE!! 

So in 2020, I had no plans to run a race in the spring. Just the thought of a race made me anxious. I would like to run the Good Life Halfsy. It’s Nov 1 (so my birthday weekend) and I hear it’s a lot of fun. But they haven’t opened it up and I’m not sure if it will happen. But that’s okay-2021 would also be fun. 

I’m not fearful of getting sick and dying but I am trying my best to stay healthy and limit my exposure. I’m not sure I’m ready to run a race with lots of people. I go out with a couple friends during the week days but we are all limiting exposure and it’s 0530-not a fantastic time for a woman to be running alone. It’s a compromise. But 20,000 runners in Chicago this October? I’m not sure I can do that. 

No comments: